- 1 box (500 g) Loprofin Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (such as sunflower, canola or corn oil) (120 mL/4 fl oz)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sparkling water (240 mL)
- 2 cups coffee buttercream icing (see separate recipe below); this amount is approximate
- Grease and line a 7" cake pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Place the Loprofin Chocolate Cake Mix into a deep bowl, and the oil and vanilla extract and stir thoroughly with a wooden sppon until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the sparkling water and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake pan and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes for transferrring the cake onto a wire rack.
- Cover with a thin layer of icing and allow to set in the fridge for at least an hour - this is called the "crumb layer" - see Chef's tip.
- Once the crumb layer has set, cover with more coffee buttercream icing and decorate with colored sugar or sprinkles.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week. Best served at room temperature.
Chef's Tip: A thin layer of buttercream icing called the "crumb coat" seals in stray crumbs before a second layer of buttercream icing is applied, helping to achieve a perfectly pretty finish on your cake.
Coffee Buttercream Icing:
Ingredients: (makes about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened (340 g)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (290 g)
- Liquid LP-Drink Mix or water (if needed)
- In a small cup combine together instant coffee powder and vanilla extract and stir until coffee powder is dissolved.
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter with electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually - in small portions - add sugar and continue mixing on low speed.
- Add vanilla and coffee mixture and continue mixing for 1-2 min more until frosting is smooth. If necessary, add a few drops of liquid LP-Drink Mix or water to thin out the frosting.